Beyond Empathy: A Call for White Humility in Response to Black Rage
Half Day Featured Sessions
Day 4Session Code: FS-3
When: March 11, 2021
Track: Social Responsibility
Presenters: Brittany J. Harris, The Winters Group, Inc. | Chevara Orrin, The Winters Group, Inc.
The recent racial justice movements require organizations to evolve their approach to D&I work, and intentionally identify intersections with social justice. Many organizations have developed strong statements and positions rooted in empathy and solidarity with Black communities but continue to struggle with closing the gap between rhetoric and practice. Traditional programmatic and philanthropic efforts will not be enough to achieve racial justice and equity.
This session will:
• Emphasize the significance of language in how we understand rebellion and rage in response to injustice and our corporate response
• Provide historical context on the influence of civil unrest and rebellion in the quest for justice and civil rights
• Understand the history and the present-day role of white people in disrupting systems of exclusion
• Initiate a call to action for enacting white humility and institutional accountability in response to the Black rage and resistance we are experiencing today
• Understand the role of language in how we understand rebellion and rage in response to injustice
• Examine the history and the present-day role of white people in disrupting systems of exclusion
• Learn strategies for embedding justice and white anti-racism activism within our organizations