Inclusion, Equity and Allyship Matters Now More than Ever: Courageous Conversations Across Difference
Day 5Session Code: S8-D
When: March 12, 2021
Track: Diversity Leadership
Presenters: Jennifer Brown, Jennifer Brown Consulting | Shaylnne Jackson, Shalynne Jackson Consulting
In 2020, we found ourselves living through a time of great uncertainty and change and navigating multiple concurrent crises. Amidst the pandemic experience, the movement for black lives called to light the need for courageous conversations across difference and for practicing allyship.
Inclusion, equity, and allyship — even imperfect allyship — matters now more than ever before. Two leading educators model healthy cross-race conversations and tackle topics and questions that include:
• What are the ingredients of successful partnerships and how do we start building these?
• How can we forge critical one-to-one bonds across difference?
• How can we continue to lead inclusively during the days and months ahead?
• How do institutions avoid performative allyship at this time when concrete system-changing actions are needed?
As we navigate a new normal, we must work together to build the future of work and create cultures of inclusion where everyone can thrive.
• Become more aware of the powerful inclusive and ally behaviors that leaders should embrace
• Learn tactics for self-education, listening, sitting with discomfort, and counsel to help navigate courage
• Identify where you are on the inclusive leader continuum, and identify action steps to move further