CaregiverStrong: Solving the Caregiver Crisis for Five Generations
Day 3Session Code: S6-L
When: April 12, 2018
Location/Room: 200 CD
Presenters: Jake Chaya, CaregiverStrong | Michelle Chaffee, alska
Over 60 million Americans are caregivers. As former first lady Rosalyn Carter stated, “There are only four kinds of people in the world. Those who have been caregivers. Those who are currently caregivers. Those who will be caregivers. And those who will need a caregiver.”
Most caregivers are ill-equipped and under-prepared when a mental, physical, financial, relational, and spiritual crisis happens. CaregiverStrong provides education, training and technology tools to families and professional caregivers. Caregivers report the three greatest stressors as a caregiver are fatigue, finances, and trust. Training content is based upon reducing stress for a caregiver.
Self-care for caregivers is critical since there is great stress in the role. Health crises often lead to financial crises which can lead to a spiritual crisis. Our approach addresses all three crises. We:
- Assess the situation
- Envision the ideal solution
- Implement the plan
- Monitor progress and results
- Gain the ability to assess the awareness and readiness of caregiving.
- Develop a personalized approach to provide care to a loved one or family.
- Know where to go to gather tools, information about self-care, financial planning, and spiritual care.