A Unifying Principle: How to Practice DEI so It Benefits Everyone
20-minute Trend Talk
Day 3Session Code: TT-10
When: March 29, 2023
Track: Diversity Leadership
Presenter: Dr. James Rodgers, PHD, FIMC, The Diversity Coach
Whatever you thought you knew about diversity and inclusion, be prepared to think again. Diversity management pioneer Dr. James Rodgers has an intention to “promote the value of diversity and reduce the stigma of diversity.”
Attendees will be invited to learn:
1. Simple promotes understanding. DEI is a relationship discipline.
2. We need a unified purpose, principle, definition, and intention for DEI.
3. Seeking similarities is the antidote to our natural reaction to differences.
4. How to sustain a DEI effort beyond social unrest.
5. Who should lead DEI efforts? Not who you think.
Much of the accepted dogma of DEI is ineffective and unsustainable. Based on 30 years of observation as well recent empirical research, Dr. Rodgers will invite you to rethink the intent, the approach, and the attitudes about DEI so that it is more accessible and acceptable to more people.
• THINK about what will make DEI more useful for advocates and more acceptable to resisters
• LEARN the power of a common language and common understanding to promote progress for DEI
• PRACTICE how to use adult learning theory to promote tangible behavior change